Friday, February 8, 2019

"Daydreaming"

Hello everyone! I have a special piece to share with you today. It has been a long and cold winteršŸ„¶for many. I dream about the wonders of our surrounding waters, warmer climates, the beautiful music of chirping birds, seashell hunting, and the glorious sounds of waves crashing against one another. In light of my inspirations I created this “16 by “20 interchangeable photo canvas.





Materials used:
Creative Embellishments: Steampunk Mermaid 2
Creative Embellishments: Steampunk Octopus Frame
Creative Embellishments: Starfish & Sand Dollars
Creative Embellishments: Seaweed 2
Creative Embellishments: Seahorse
Tuesday Morning: American Crafts - Gold Embossing Powder
Tuesday Morning: Kaiser Crafts - Steampunk Wood Veneers
Hobby Lobby: Brea Reese - Art Stones - No longer in stock
Canvas Corp Brands: Tattered Angels - Indigo Blue
Target: Handmademodern - 20K Gold Acrylic Paint

This is an unconventional posting for me. I usually only share my step by step tutorials on my blog. But, this piece required me to give it a special shout out on my blog. So many techniques used.




I began by laying down my balsa wood panels using tacky glue. Then I started adding my art stones, clothespins, beads, buttons, seashells, starfish, and all the other bits and bobs and let it dry overnight.




Once all my initial elements were in place, I lay down a nice heavy coat of black gesso to the entire surface. Once that dries, I begin highlighting, with white gesso, areas that I want my colors to be brighter.




Once the gesso is completely dry, I begin spraying the TA and LG sprays all over the entire surface.




I know, lots of drying time. Beautiful works take time. After that dried, I used my acrylic gold paint to dry brush and highlight certain areas as you can see throughout the photos.




Here is a photograph of the whole piece.




Lots of beautiful textures and the 3D elements are seen in this photograph. In finishing this piece I used the AC embossing powder to emboss all chipboard pieces. I finished it by attaching metal gears randomly to create the final project.




In this photograph you can see a lot of those fine details in the hand painting and the grooves within the chipboard piece.




I hope you guys like it! I know it was different, but I would definitely appreciate your feedback. Do you like posts like these or more detailed? Thank you for time in looking!

I am entering this home decor piece into the February @art_daily_cafe and Sandee and Amelie Steampunk challenge. As well as the Bleeding Art January challenge. Here are the links if you’d like to join us. https://artdailycafe.blogspot.com/…/february-2019-day-dream…https://sandee-and-amelie.blogspot.com/…/sandee-february-20…https://bleedingartchallenge.blogspot.com/…/january-challen…

No comments:

Post a Comment